The National Sleep Foundation has named this week Sleep Awareness Week. We thought we would take this opportunity to share with you how to get a good night’s sleep. The goal is to get better quality sleep in order to feel refreshed and more rested each morning. The quality of your sleep hours matter so much more than the quantity of sleep you are able to squeeze in. Try one or more of our top 10 tips on getting a good night’s sleep below.
- The first tip is to set a sleep schedule. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Also try to avoid naps or make them regular occurrences. You can use your Fitbit to track your sleep schedule and quality of sleep.
- You should also control your exposure to light. Try to avoid exposure to bright light during the evening hours. This means you need to limit your screen time (including phone and television) right before bed. Also be sure to sleep in a dark room.
- Healthy habits can also make for a better night’s sleep. Be sure that you are getting your exercise and cutting down on caffeine.
- Wind down before your bedtime with bath salts, meditation, soft music, or any other relaxing activity. Put your mind in a restful place before trying to turn in for the night.
- A comfortable bed will lead to a better night’s sleep. Invest in luxury bedding, pajamas, bed linen spray, and more. Anything that will make jumping into that bed at the end of the night the most relaxing part of your day.
- Try to keep your bedroom quiet. You can drown out any noise from outdoors with a sound machine or soft music.
- Clear your mind of your to do list and other worries. Keep a notepad by your bed and write down any thoughts so you can clear them from your head. Tell yourself that you will worry about those things in the morning.
- A cool temperature in the room can lead to a better night’s sleep. Turn down your thermostat just for your sleeping hours. A smart thermostat like the Nest can make adjustments like this very easy.
- Try to avoid drinking liquids close to your bedtime. This can lead to interrupted sleep due to frequent bathroom trips.
- Get out during the day and soak up the sunshine. The natural effects of sunlight can lead better quality sleep at night.
Follow these tips and you should be sleeping soundly in no time! Do you have any other tricks you use? Advice for how to get a good night’s sleep?